Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Letter #2


Hello all!
 
I will start off by telling you some things I should have last week but didn't have the time. Elder Jordan Britton was in my zone for a few days. He was supposed to leave before I got here but he and his companion were having visa troubles and were delayed for about a week so I got to see quite a bit of him. It was great! My companion's name is Elder Lawless (ironic, no?). He's from Washington, and he's a pretty cool guy. There are actually a lot of things about him that remind me of Jake Robinson. It's not really good or bad, it just is haha. We get along pretty well but run into some challenges. All I'm really gonna say is it's been a real learning experience with personal relationships. My district is awesome! Our roommates are Elders Walker and Flinders. All four of us are going to Tampa. Elders Larson, McKee, and Brown are going to Charlotte NC, and Elders Ah Sue and Kisner are going to Brisbane, Australia. Elder Ah Sue was a professional trumpet player before he got here and played on Glee season 2. He also has a YouTube channel, just search Greg Ah Sue. He's ridiculously hilarious and keeps our spirits up when things get rough.
 
This last week has been a real roller coaster. We saw two of our district members go home, which shocked us all. It was super hard on us, and it took us a couple days to recover. But the Lord has definitely blessed us with countless amazing experiences to lift us up and pull us closer together. Tender mercies is the best way any of us could describe this week. And that's to say nothing of my own personal frustrations as I adjust to missionary life and the schedule.
 
Our investigators are progressing really well for the most part! We have one that is really difficult and we can't figure out how to help him and what he needs. He gives short, ambiguous answers (karma? :P) and it's really frustrating. But our other investigators are moving right along. We won't have enough time in our stay here at the MTC to finish up teaching them, but these role plays have really helped us understand how to teach by the Spirit. Most of the time, when we're feeling a prompting from the Spirit, we won't even know that's what it is. But we have to do it anyway, if it's good.
 
We got our travel plans on Friday! We leave Provo for Tampa on Monday, so this is my last P-day here in the MTC. Next email will be from Tampa. I am SO ready to be out in the field already and be teaching real investigators! I'm so excited! I just know that the Lord has prepared people down there for me to teach, and I am realizing the blessing of serving English-speaking in the States. Having to learn a language on top of everything I'm learning right now, plus having to stay here any longer that 3 weeks would have been really tough for me.
 
Keep the letters coming! I have to say, even on days when I have an amazing lesson with an investigator, it's always a downer when I don't get mail, but it just makes my day a million times better when I do get something. So thanks for everyone who's written so far! It's been really good to hear about every one and what's going on at home.
 
Well, we're off to the temple now. But before I leave, I just want everyone who reads this to do a few things for me. First, watch the Mormon Messages called Patterns of Light, it's a 3 part series on YouTube. And then get on lds.org and watch Elder Jeffery R Holland's CES Devotional from this month. If the quote "You NEVER check your religion at the door!" doesn't entice you to watch it, I'm not sure what will. Lastly, I want all of you to read the Book of Mormon, and I mean really read it. Pray about it and ask God if it isn't His word, and I promise you He will give you an answer. I love that book, and I want everyone I know to read it and love it too.
 
I love you all so much! I pray every day for your success and safety. Thank you for your love and support.
 
Elder Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment