Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Letter #77

Hey everyone!

It's been such a great week! Probably the best week that Elder Coleman
and I have had together. We're developing a lot better relationships
with the members here and it's really paying off. We got so many
referrals this week, it's crazy! We haven't even had time to contact
them all on top of the teaching we've been doing.

Speaking of who we are teaching, well, it's been good. It can be
frustrating when people don't show up to church. It's really the most
important step in their conversion. They can learn with us. They can
read the Book of Mormon. They can pray to know the truth. But until
they come to church they will never really understand what makes this
Church different. And they can never have access to sacrament, which
is the most important ordinance in enduring to the end. And you can
tell them this, but until they experience it, they won't really ever
get it.

I don't know if I told you this last week, but we went to a state park
last week called Myakka River. It was a great pday get-away. And so
pretty! Fun hiking, awesome rivers and lakes, lots of alligators, and
a really tall tower that gets you way above the tree line and you can
see for MILES! Florida is such a beautiful place. Is it weird that I
want to live in central Florida some day? But I don't think I would
love it as much if it weren't for the people. At the most recent
transfer meeting, I was talking to a new missionary who had just
gotten here from Fiji. He said that Florida has the best people of all
the states! I kind of chuckled, thinking of all the not so great
people I've met here. But the more I thought about it, the more I
realized that I agree with him. And the closer I get to leaving them,
the more I love them and wish I could stay forever. I love President
Uchtdorf's talk from conference about being grateful in any
circumstance. Especially this part:
"In light of what we know about our eternal destiny, is it any wonder
that whenever we face the bitter endings of life, they seem
unacceptable to us? There seems to be something inside of us that
resists endings.
Why is this? Because we are made of the stuff of eternity. We are
eternal beings, children of the Almighty God, whose name is Endless
and who promises eternal blessings without number. Endings are not our
destiny.
The more we learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ, the more we
realize that endings here in mortality are not endings at all. They
are merely interruptions--temporary pauses that one day will seem
small compared to the eternal joy awaiting the faithful.
How grateful I am to my Heavenly Father that in His plan there are no
true endings, only everlasting beginnings."

Love you all! Have a great week

Elder Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment