Monday, December 17, 2012

Letter #14

Hey everyone!

Well, to start off, Elder Willard and I will both be staying here in Highlands! Thank goodness! So, this transfer is the beginning of growing from the recent age change for missionaries. Several new areas around the mission are opening and our zone is splitting. This transfer will bring in 5 new companionships and the next several transfers will bring even more than that.

We had a mission-wide Christmas conference this past week, and it was really good! I love the Christmas season, and I especially love Christmas music! At the conference we had a Christmas program where excerpts from Elder McConkie's "The Mortal Messiah" were shared. He talked about the wise men, and though we don't know who they were, they still play a vital part in our Christmas traditions with the importance of giving gifts. I love the Christmas story from the Book of Mormon. Nephi is worried about his people because those who believe will soon be killed for believing in the coming of Christ and the prophecies about His birth. 
12 And it came to pass that he cried mightily unto the Lord all that day; and behold, the voice of the Lord came unto him, saying:13 Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfil all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets. 14 Behold, I come unto my own, to fulfil all things which I have made known unto the children of men from the foundation of the world, and to do the will, both of the Father and of the Son—of the Father because of me, and of the Son because of my flesh. And behold, the time is at hand, and this night shall the sign be given. 15 And it came to pass that the words which came unto Nephi were fulfilled, according as they had been spoken; for behold, at the going down of the sun there was no darkness; and the people began to be astonished because there was no darkness when the night came.
How wonderful and comforting that is! I've also spent some time watching videos on lds.org, and there are a lot of really awesome ones on there, especially sharing Christmas messages. You can watch some of them here:
My favorite videos on there are "The Coat" and "Kids and Christmas." I really like what President Monson said in his Christmas address about the Christmas Spirit. It's just another name for the Spirit and Light of Christ that we feel when we celebrate the birth of our Savior. Have a wonderful Christmas season this year and the time with family and loved ones! Love you all!

Elder Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment