Monday, July 15, 2013

Letter #38

Dear family and friends,

First item of business before I forget. We just got notified by the mission office that mail is now to be sent directly to our apartments instead of the mission office. If you've already mailed something, it's fine, but starting this week it needs to be mailed/shipped directly to me. Which means for during transfers you shouldn't send me anything. But I'll make sure and give you a heads up the week before so you don't have to keep track of it all. My address here in Venice is:

Elder Jarom Petersen
3912 Woodmere Park Blvd, #9
Venice, FL 34293

Second item of business. I heard a really, really funny pun a couple weeks ago that I wanted to share. It's hard to explain puns to kleptomaniacs, because they always take things, literally. BAH! I laughed really hard when I heard it. And then I had to explain to it Elder Barry. We have a lot of fun :)

Well, this past week has been nothing short of miraculous. We weren't really that busy. It's been a challenge incorporating the new area into our plans, seeing as how it's new and we forget about it sometimes. However, yesterday changed everything. There was a talk given in sacrament meeting about the importance of doing missionary work. In fact, this individual called the whole ward to repentance, himself included, and said that it was their job, not the missionaries' job, to find people for us to teach. He called us early in the morning and told us to bring all of our Articles of Faith cards, but didn't say why. Well, we found out. At the end of his talk he committed everyone in the ward to ask us for at least one card and give it away this week. And then he promised them that at least some of them would get a phone call from the person they gave it to saying they had questions. And he told the ward to direct all questions to the missionaries. We easily gave out 100 pass-along cards yesterday before church was over. And better than that, we left church with a full schedule for this upcoming week. This has NEVER happened before! This ward had a little fire going, but the gasoline just got thrown on. And we're excited! Of course, now it's our job to keep following up with the members to see how it's going.

Pauline's son gets home from his mission Aug 30th we think. They're still not sure the exact day. So she will be getting baptized somewhere in there. It's after this transfer is over, though, so not sure if I'll still be here for it. I really want to be though. We have another month left in this transfer. Hoping I will be able to stay another transfer. I feel like there's so much work for me to do here.

Well, I think that's about it. We're pretty excited for this upcoming week. Hope you all have a great week!
Elder Petersen

No comments:

Post a Comment